Sunday, October 4, 2009

I SPY BAGS



The girls are obsessed with I Spy & Spot What books. So when I saw this idea for I Spy bags

http://savvychic.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/crafts-i-spy-pouch/

I thought they'd be brilliant to take in the car, to church, waiting rooms etc.


So the other day I thought I'd have a go. I made 3 that are 4 x 4 inches, and 2 that are 6 x 6 inches. I went to my local craft store & bought a heap of interesting buttons & beads, raided my stash, & set to work.


Sewing a vinyl window into a square of fabric is quite easy - but if it worries you, make the entire top side of the pouch out of vinyl. If you use a knit fabric you won't have to worry about turning the raw edges under as I did.


I took a photo of the 'fillings' for each bag before putting them in, so the older kids had a 'list' to search for. They're laminated & attached to the ribbons I've sewn to the pouches.


I think I filled the pouches too full of rice initially, so I unpicked them & pulled some out after this photo was taken. They did keep Miss 2 occupied for a while at church this morning, so I think it has been a success.


TIPS:
- Don't fill too full with rice or you cannot manipulate the bags enough to see the items inside.

- Don't make them too big - little hands can't manipulate them easily & you'll need too many 'fillings'. The 4 x 4 inch ones are the biggest I'd attempt in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment