Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Heat Wheats - another UFO done [including tips for making your own]

I bought a bag of wheat from our local produce seller ages ago.  I had intended to make heat wheats, new heat packs. But like so many UFO's I never go there.  I was trying to find a place to put the large, rather in-the-way bag of wheat today, when I decided it would be quicker to make some up than try to find a home for the heavy bag of wheat.  I was right.

 This is a shoulder/neck heat pack.  My previous one was a lovely maroon corduroy, but it had seen better days.  Aren't these lovely cotton prints?  When feeling sore, I think they have the potential to bring a smile to my face.

Miss 8 also decided to help me out.  Here are the two that she made:
If you decide to make your own heat packs at home, there are a couple of tips I've learned over the years I've been making them:
1. Sewing channels every so often while filling your pack make it work better - you don't end up with all the wheat down one end.
2. Spritz with water or put a glass of water in the microwave when you heat it up.  Otherwise they could catch fire.  VERY IMPORTANT.
3. Add dried lavender with the wheat when filling for a lovely aroma when it's heated.
4. Make up in a few different shapes for the different purposes you need them.
5. They work really well as bed warmers in winter - instead of hot water bottles or electric blankets.  Make a soft pillowcase for one out of polar fleece you can throw over after it's warmed.  My kids sometimes cuddle them on a cold night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment